The Bristol ME Support Group (BMESG) is a patients’ organisation run by people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME). ME is now often diagnosed as CFS or ME/CFS. Please see ‘What is ME’ page for more details. The group was formed in 1987 and has a membership of about 115, drawn from both Bristol and the surrounding areas.
What Does the Bristol ME Support Group offer?
- Monthly Social meet-ups in the City Centre, Portishead and Fishponds.
A public Ansaphone service (07443 475 474) which anyone can phone for information about the group, and general inquiries about M.E.
- A Public Facebook Page which we keep updated with local, national and international news, information, research and treatments regarding M.E. (and C.F.S.) Please ‘like’ this page to receive our regular posts in your news-feed.
- A ‘Secret’ Facebook Group which is a friendly private online community where people can receive support and share and discuss ideas and information. It is open to anyone with M.E. (or CFS) in Bristol and surrounding areas including non-members of the Bristol M.E. Support Group. For more details please contact us via our public page above.
- We also have a Yahoo Web Group: https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bristol_me_group/info
Additionally for Subscription Members we offer:
- A printed Newsletter (sent out three times a year by post or email) which is designed to both inform and amuse. It intends to keep people up to date with the latest developments in research and treatments. Members also contribute their own stories, poems and articles.
- Neighbourhood link groups in various areas of Bristol, Portishead and Bath. These allow members to meet and keep in touch locally.
- A private Members Contact List (telephone and/or email), which is particularly useful for housebound members.
- Our M.E. Patients Watercolour Painting Group which meets once a month.
*Please note: Help is always needed to run the group, and contributions for the newsletter etc. as well as fundraising ideas are particularly welcomed.
How to Join:
For membership of BMESG there is an annual subscription of £6.This fee is to cover basic admin costs, such as printing our group newsletter. Membership is exclusively for ME patients and their carers. To join, please contact our membership secretary by post, phone or email.
Bristol ME Support Group,
3a Kersteman Road,
Telephone 07443 475 474 (Answerphone only… leave a clear message, and the best time to call back, if you want to talk to someone).
Email: andy.rees(at)tesco.net *replace (at) with @.
Disclaimer: ‘Any treatments, practitioners etc, mentioned in the Bristol ME Support Group newsletter or other publications, are for information only. The group does not advertise products or services. The group does not recommend any specific treatments, but welcomes members’ opinions and experiences.’